Sunday, June 14, 2009

IUI #1 a bust!!

I was awoken this morning by horrible cramps. I ran to the bathroom to see that AF arrived in full force!! So here I am writing at 6:30am on a sunday morning when I would rather be in bed sleeping.

Yesterday I had cramps and one tiny brown spot on my pantyliner so I knew it was coming. That was actually a blessing b/c it helped prepare DH and I for the disappointment this morning. I have to admit though, I still held out a little hope. I came back in bed to find DH wide awake waiting to see if I had any news. I started to cry, he held me and told me how sad he was too.

Our biggest concern at this point is our "options". Even though this was our 1st IUI I feel defeated b/c if IUI doesn't work then what do we do. We will still try a few more IUI's but I am not sure we would do IVF. I am scared!!

Our other concern is money. As soon as we got the IUI, which is "infertility treatment", our insurance stopped paying for everything related. So now my first visit of the cycle is $350!! That's just to talk to the RE and come up with the next plan. Ultrasounds are $250 a pop, which I will need at least two of each cycle. B/w is $150 and the IUI is $450.
It is going to cost us about $1500 and that is without any meds. If our insurance covered IUI's I wouldn't be as upset b/c at this point (over a year of TTC) it seems like nothing to wait another month. This may sound ridiculous but its how I feel. Thank god we are fortunate enough to have the money to do a few more IUI's...but $1500-2000 is a lot of money to spend in ONE month. I know it's not as expensive as some people pay, but to us its A LOT.

I am going to leave a message on the nurses line at the RE's office and hopefully they will call me tomorrow with a plan for this cycle. I am also going to leave a message for the woman in charge of billing and see if they will work out a deal with me since insurance is no longer paying.

I feel better now that I got all that out. Hopefully I will have some answers tomorrow when I talk to the RE's office. I am off to let my DH pamper me and my sorrows....

6 comments:

Amy said...

Oh hun I am so sorry. I would be discouraged as well. I really hope the next IUI does the trick.

Anonymous said...

I just got home from out of town and saw this :( I'm so so sorry. I can't believe it was a bust... I'll be praying for IUI #2 to work so you don't even have to think about the "what ifs" anymore!

Lindsay said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry. I was really hopping this was it! Hopefully #2 will do the trick!

Kristin said...

So sorry hun! I'll keep praying for you!

Shannon said...

Im really sorry, its not fair. Im continuing to think of you and pray for you.

Dianne said...

Oh I am so sorry. And yes it is alot of money!!! The problem is that they want it all at the same time!!!