Thursday, February 4, 2010

Found an ISSUE!!

I am not in the writing mood so I am going to bullet point what has been going on:

  • DH's morphology has been borderline 29% (30% is normal) the last three SA's, but the old RE and urologist said this was NOT the reason we are having issues TTC!! Dr. A (new RE) suspected DH's morphology is a reason if not THE reason we aren't getting pregnant. He wants DH to have a $500 SA, which is much more detailed than the previous ones. Dr. A specializes in male factor infertility, so I trust him.

  • DH had the SA the day after my phone consult with Dr. A. There are two parts to the test. 1st part- DNA fragmentation, which we have never had tested. We won't get the results of this for a week and a half. 2nd part - Measures the same things as a regular SA (count, morph., ect.) but is done at 1000x magnification thus some more subtle abnormalities are seen unlike in a standard SA only has 250x magnification. We got those results the next day. DH's count and motility are great, BUT his morphology is 3% (5% normal). We clearly have an issue.

  • DH is devastated and feels like this is ALL his fault. He feels horrible that I have had to go through tests, surgeries, injections, and heartache because of him. I told him it is not his fault, he has no control over it and I do NOT blame him. We are in this together and no one is to blame. It is what it is and we are going to move forward. It breaks my heart that he feels responsible!!

  • I am pissed if this ends up being THE reason because we have been TTC for almost 2 years and no one has told us this. If we would have known this back then we wouldn't have gone through all the IUI, injection, and heartache. We would have gone straight to IVF!! Oh well, I can't live in the past. We know now, so we are going to do something about it.

  • Morphology can't be fixed, but we can get around it by doing IVF. The woman in that lab told DH that we are great candidates for IVF because over half of his sperm are normal, so they will just pick the good ones when we do IVF. This made DH feel much better!!

  • We are waiting on the results of the second part of the SA. I am waiting for AF and then I will go in and have an ultrasound and antral follicle count. Once we have all of these results we will move forward.

  • Our tentative POA is to do IVF in April which means I would start taking BC in March.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that is disappointing news, but at least now you will have a plan of action! That is great that you will have a great chance with IVF! I hope this works out for you!

Katie said...

What a relief do finally have a diagnosis and plan. I'm so happy for you guys!

TwoDogMama said...

I am glad it seems that you have found an answer to your problems. That is great news. I understand your husband feeling like it is all his fault. I feel like that as well at times because my husband is perfect, and I am the mess. The guilt will pass in time and there is nothing you can do but be positive and move forward. Good luck!

Jessica said...

Do you have an email address I can contact with?

Jenny said...

it's disappointing but promising at the same time, ya know?! i'm glad to hear that they're thinking that you could "easily" get pg from IVF!

Jessica said...

Jessica,
you can e-mail me at
dreamsofababy@hotmail.com

A said...

I think it is wonderful that you're being there to support DH in view of this newly recognized issue! I think mine would feel terrible, too, but it is perfect that you're standing beside him, making sure he knows he's not to "blame"!!

Will continue praying for you!

Amy said...

How frustrating to know that you've waited so long to find that out, but I'm glad you have a diagnosis so that you can move forward with the right plan. Praying for you!

Shannon said...

I cannot even begin to imagine how frustrating this is for you, and a relief knowing that you now have an answer. I know this is disappointing, but at least now you have a plan in action.
thinking of you!!

Erin said...

I know exactly how you feel, DH has a low sperm count and he feels the same as your DH. I tell him it is not his fault we are in this together, it is God's decision on when we make a baby. Hang in there! I am glad you finally have some answers and can move onto IVF and a sticky bean.

Kacey said...

Not knowing what the problem was is probably more frustrating than finding a problem...I have faith that IVF will be your answer and your pathway to motherhood!!

Shanny said...

We had some morphology issues also, dh was 14% and our doctor didn't seem to think that was the main issue with us cause there was enough to still work. Hope your dh doesn't feel too bad for too long. Glad you have a plan though, I'm wishing you guys lots of luck!

Anonymous said...

It's disappointing news, but it has to feel good finally getting to the bottom of the issue. This new doc sounds fantastic and I think you are in good hands for your upcoming IVF. Good luck!!!

Low Fat Lady said...

So glad they were able to find something they can do something about. I'm sorry they didn't catch it before though.

Katie said...

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog. I didn't know that by going private it wouldn't be updating for you guys. Lame. Anyway, thanks again..

Alice said...

It's never fun to find out that something is wrong but this issue sounds like it's solvable! I hope this is the answer to your difficulties and success is around the corner.

Lindsay said...

Glad that the new RE is being so proactive. He sounds great. Good luck with the ivf!!

Baby Bump Wanted said...

glad that you have a plan and that you have or getting some answers.My DH was devestated when we found out he had bad swimmers. All the best.

Do I Have to Be a D.I.N.K.? said...

I am also planning on my first IVF in April! it feels like it's so far away yet so close. I totally agree that I wish I knew then what I knew now...wouldn't have wasted all the time on IUI's. Good luck to you! Wishing you the best.